In 1603, the first bridge was built by Tokugawa Ieyasu. He also designed all the roads in Japan, and make this as the zero-milestone.
In 1604, it became the beginning point of Five Major Road to Edo. Since then, the bridge appears many times on Ukiyoe Arts.
In 1657, Meireki Fire Disaster, the first bridge was burnt down.
In 1911, current bridge was built, and registered as national historic asset.