Omi-Hachiman was built by Toyotomi Hidetsugu in 1585. When he built Hachiman Castle, he removed all merchants and people from Azuchi to under Hachiman Castle. At that time, Omi-Hachiman became one of post towns of Nakasendo Road. Because Hidetsugu made set Omi-Hachiman Tax Free Market Town (Rakuichi-Rakuza), many talented merchant gathered at this town and made a great economic growth of Omi-Hachiman. Hachiman Castle was abandoned in 1595, but Omi-merchants remained here and kept growing their economy.
The areas of Shinmachi Street, Nagaharacho Street, Hachiman Canal, and Hachiman Shrine are registered as the historical asset and preserved sites. Therefore, those spots offers the sites of Omi city in Edo period.
Local History Museum
all located at Shinmachi Street.