The formal name is Ogurayama Nison-in Kedai-ji. It is Tendai Buddhism established in 834 to 847 by priest Ennin. It enshrines tow principal images, Shaka and Amida, that both registered as the national important cultural properties.
During Onin War that happened from 1467 to 1477, most of the buildings had been burnt down, but the main hall and Kara mon Gate were reconstructed within 30 years. The sign board on the gate, was given by Emperor Gokashiwabara, and the sign of Nisonin was given by Gonara Emperor. Until the Meiji Restoration, Nisonin was designated as one of the "Four Auspicious Temple." Correct in its observance of formalities, it administered Imperial Buddhist Ceremonies. At times, when a High Priest was nominated, it was customary for him to visit the imperial palace and to receive the purple robe, the symbol of the highest rank in Buddhism.
Somon Gate was removed from Fushimi Castle and it was built in 1613. The path to the main hall is called Momiji no baba, path of Momiji, because it is the avenue of Momiji trees. The main hall was also constructed in 1613.