Nachi-san Seiganto-ji Temple

Get the Flash Player to see this video.


Nachi-san Seiganto-ji Temple (那智山青岸渡寺) is located in Nachi-Katsuura, Wakayama Prefecture. It is one of sacred spot of Nachi, and registered as UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was established by Priest Ragyo who was highly trained in India in the 4th century. He practiced under Nachi Falls, and found a small image of Kannon at the basin. The current hall was reconstructed by Toyotomi Hideyoshi in 1590. On the side of three stories pagoda, it has great view of Nachi Falls.

Visitor's Info.
There is a parking.

0. at Shingu Station.
1. use JR Kise Line to Nachi (21 min.)
2. use bus to Nachisankan kanko center.



The Origin of Nachisan Seiganto-ji Temple
An awe-inspiring temple in the holy area of Kumano, Seiganto-ji is widely known as the first temple of the thirty-three places of pilgrimage in western part of Japan which are sacred to Kannon, or the Goddess of Mercy. According to a legend, in the reign of Emperor Nintoku( the 4th century) a holy priest named Ragyo came from India and when he was practicing asceticism under the Great Falls of Nachi, he found a small image of Kannon at the basin of the waterfall. Building a thatched cottage near the waterfall, he enshrined the image of Kannon in it. This is the origin of Seiganto-ji. Then in the reign of Emperor Suiko, a holy priest named Shobusu caved a large image of Kannon which was about 4 meters in height and set in its chest the small image of Kannon found by Ragyo, and proper sanctuary was constructed to enshrine the large image. In 988, the retired Emperor, Kazan, who visited this temple, was deeply moved by it and designated it as the first
place of the thirty-three places of pilgrimages sacred to Kannon.

Cultural Assets of Nachisan Seiganto-ji Temple
The present main building of the temple was reconstructed in 1590 by Toyotomi Hideyoshi, after the temple had been reduced to ashes by an ambitious warlord named Oda Nobunaga. Not only the main building but also some Buddhist images of the temple are designated as the important cultural assets. Those images were excavated in 1918 at a sutra mound near the approach to the Great Falls of Nachi. In addition, other objects as such as cylindrical cases for sutras, mirrors and Buddhist altar fittings were unearthed there. They attest to the long history of the temple. Rising 25 meters, a three-stories pagoda is seem almost halfway between the main building of the temple and the Great falls of Nachi. It was reconstructed in 1972, some 300 years after the former pagoda had been destroyed by fire. The pagoda affords a really picturesque view of the waterfall, for nothing interrupts the view from there.

Title of UNESCO
"Sacred Sites and Pilgrimage Routes in the Kii Mountain Range."

Official Web: