Hakone Sekisyo was built in 1619. Tokugawa Government built 53 Sekisyo all over Japan. Sekisyo was pass point and gate to check out the all the travelers who travel domains to domains. In Edo period, people are not permitted to travel to other domain without Tegata, a transport permission. The officers of Sekisyo, seriously checked out guns and women. It was called "No incoming guns, and no outgoing women." Edo government highly restricted the importing guns to Edo, and never allows Daimyo's wife to leave Edo.
There are 4 important Sekisyo, Usui, Fukushima, Arai and Hakone. Usui and Fukushima are located on Nakasendo Road, and Arai and Hakone is located on Tokaido Road.
Hakone didn't check seriously about guns, but they were very serious about outgoing women.
It was abandoned after the fall of Edo government. Current structures were reconstructed in 2007. The construction took the traditional way. Therefore, the buildings are not only restored as the looks, but also the structures of traditional Japanese houses and life style.
deterrents to the travelers.
-Ashigaru Bansho Office-
Ashigaru used this office. They used it also as a resting place.
-Tomi Bansho (the watch)-
Checking out the ships on Lake Ashi.
-The Kyoto side gate-
-Obansho and Kamiban Resthouse-
The front side is the office of Sekisyo.
Displays guns and bows to frighten the travelers.
-Restroom and kitchen-
Museum displays all kinds of Sekisyo related items, such as wooden sign, Tegata, guns and weapons.
Offcial Web: www.hakonesekisyo.jp