Daijuji was established by Matsudaira Chikatada in 1475. The main script is made in the late 12th century.
Daiju means Shogun in Chinese. It was named by the 4th Lord of Matsudaira to wish that Matsudaira clan will be Shogun in the future. Therefore, when Tokugawa Ieyasu, who is also the top of Matsudaira clan, became Shogun, he donated the main hall. Also, his grandson, Iemitsu donated the main gate and bell tower. All of them except the main hall are still remaining in this temple.
The oldest building is the Taho Tower that was constructed in 1535 by Matsudaira Kiyoyasu who is the grandfather of Ieyasu.
When Tokugawa Ieyasu was 19 years old after the battle of Sekigahara, he escaped from Nobunaga and hid at this temple. Ieyasu was almost committed to Harakiri, but the priest of the temple gave him the word and he decided to live. At the same time, the monk of this temple fought for Ieyasu against Nobunaga and saved his life. After that, Ieyasu highly respected this temple as the temple of Tokugawa Clan.
Official Web Official Web