Type : Hilltop castle
Built in: 1384
Originally, Tsuruga Castle was built in late 14th century. It was called Kurokawa Castle. In 1598, Gamo Ujisato became the lord of Aizu, and built a huge modern castle. He named his new castle, "Tsuruga." Also, he renamed the name of Town, Wakamatsu. He built 5 layered 7 stories Tenshukaku. Tenshukaku of Gamo was destroyed by the earthquake in 1611.
Kato Yoshiakira moved to Aizu in 1627 and built new Tenshu. It was remained until Boshin War.
In Boshin War, the land of Aizu was involved the war, and Tsuruga Castle was sieged by Meiji government, and later it was destroyed.
Current Tenshu was reconstructed in 1965. In 2011, the roof was re-patched in the original red color.
Today, it is one of 100 best castles, and 100 best Sakura spots.
The Main Bailey and its garden was rebuilt. There is a tea house where you can enjoy great tea.
-Roka Bridge Gate-
Ishigaki remains in the original structure.
The North Bailey.
Extended Western Bailey.
-Ninomaru and Sannomaru-
2nd and 3rd baileys.