Tama-u-dun was built in 1501 to re-entomb the remains of father King Shoen by King Shoshin and has become the Royal Mausoleum of the 2nd Sho dynasty.
The tomb consists of three chambers, the center chamber was placing the remaining before washing the bones; the east chamber was originally for the kings and queens; the west chamber, according to the inscription on the stone monument in the front court, was for the rest of the family members. The entire tomb displays an architectural style of the royal palace of that time, a stone building with wooden roof. It has a site area reaching 2442 square meters.
Tama-udun was heavily damaged in WWII, but restored in 1974.
It is designated as the Gusuku Sites and Related Properties of the Kingdom of Ryukyu of UESCO World Heritage Site.