Shomyoji was built in 1258 by Hojo Sanetoki. Under the great support of Hojo Family, the temple was growing until the end of Kamakura Government. The garden was built 1320 to represent the land of Perfect Bliss. This temple preserved all Sanetoki’s books of history, Buddhism, Literature and Politics. Many of them had been lost but some of them are still preserved at Kanazawa bunko Library.
Current garden was re-build in 1987. There are many buildings, such as the gate, temples, are chosen as the important historical properties of Japan.