Castle Type: Hilltop.
Built in: 1457 by Ota Michisane and Ota Dokan.
Class: Ruins (the palace remains).
Kawagoe Castle is one of 100 best Japanese castles and Seven Best Castle of Kanto Region. It was built in 1457 by Ota Doshin and Dokan family. This land was ruled by Uesugi clan during the early Sengoku period. Uesugi ordered Ota to built castle to against Ashikaga, the lord of Koga.
In 1537, Hojo clan, the lord of Sagami, took over this castle and it became the important castle to protect norther area of Hojo.
In 1590, Toyotomi Hideyoshi invaded Kanto and Hojo. Kawagoe Castle was defeated by Maeda Toshiie. After the fall of Hojo clan, Tokugawa Ieyasu moved to Kanto. He gave this castle to Sakai Shigetada.
In 1639, Matsudaira Nobutsuna became lord of this castle. He extended this castle. It has Honmaru, Ninomaru, Sannomaru, four keeps, and 12 gates.
After the Meiji Restoration, it was abandoned.
The current building is the only remaining building of Kawagoe castle. It was built in 1848 by Matsudaira Naritsune.
Official Web site:http://museum.city.kawagoe.saitama.jp/hommaru/