The Kaminarimon or the Kaminarimon Gate, is the outer of two large entrance gates that ultimately leads to the Senso-ji (the inner being the Hozomon) in Asakusa, Tokyo. Known as the face of Asakusa, the gate sports an ornate lantern and statues, and as a result it is extremely popular with tourists.
The Kaminarimon was first built in 942 by Taira no Kinmasa. It was originally located near Komagata, but it was reconstructed in its current location in 1635. This is believed to be when the statues of Raijin and Fujin were first placed on the gate. The gate has been destroyed many times throughout the ages. Four years after its relocation, the Kaminarimon burned down, and in 1649 Tokugawa Iemitsu rebuilt the gate along with several other of the major structures in the temple complex. The Kaminarimon's current incarnation dates back to 1960.
The busy shopping street leading from the Kaminarimon gate to the temple is the covered Nakamise arcade, selling all sorts of Buddhist paraphernalia as well as assorted tourist kitsch. This is one of the best places in Tokyo to buy souvenirs (the other being the Oriental Bazaar in Omotesando), but note more expensive items such as swords and kimonos are likely to be of inferior quality. There are 54 shops in East side, 35 shops in West side; 89 shops in total
(Reference: wikipedia, wikitravel)