The last lord of Sakura clan, Hotta Masatomo, built his new residence and garden in preparation for his moving back to his former fiefdom, Sakura.
The main part of the residence consists of five single-storied (though partly two-storied) wooden buildings with tiled, hipped roofs, which are connected by corridors. They were completed in 1890. Later on, a bathhouse was added in 1911. The main house buildings, the gatekeeper's lodge, and the storehouse - which has thick, fireproof walls to protect valuables from theft and natural disasters - remain in good condition, almost as they were when constructed.
The garden, mostly covered with lawn, has trees such as Japanese red pines and crapemyrtles, rocks for decoration, and stone lanterns in some places. It commands an extensive view of Takasaki River and the highlands across the river.
The residence and the garden were designated as Sakura City Cultural Property and place of scenic beauty on March 26, 1997, and also as Chiba Prefecture Cultural Property and Place of Scenic Beauty on March 30, 2001. Furthermore, the five house buildings, the gatekeeper's lodge, and the storehouse were designated as National Important Cultural Property.