Yushima Seido is a national historic site located in Kanda, Tokyo. 5th Tokugawa Shogun, Tunayoshi planed the promotion to Education and Confucianism, and built Yushima Seido in 1690. He moved the Temple of Confucius and private school from Ueno to this location. 100 years later, in 1797, it became the school directly under Tokugawa Government. It was well know as Shoheisaka Gakumonjo.
After the Meiji Restoration, it became the ministry of education and the first public library was built in this place. The tradition of Education shit to Ttsukuba University and Ochanomizu University, later.
Today, it is registered as a national historic site. Most of building were lost, but Nyuutokumon gate built in 1704 is the original structure. The entire site of Yushima Seido is the same as it was used to be Edo period.
Temple of Confucius. Lost in Kanto Great Earthquake and reconstructed.
Lost in Kanto Great Earthquake and reconstructed.
Constructed in 1704.
-The statue of Confucius-
Official Web: http://www.seido.or.jp/index.html