The Suizenji Jojuen Garden represents the Fifty - Three Stations of the Tokaido Road. The fresh springs in the garden release clean, cold water, which flowers there from Mt. Aso via underground currents.
In 1636, Tadatoshi, the third Lord of Hosokawa, began its construction as a tea retreat, and he also built a temple here for Priest Gentaku. This temple was called Suizenji. This beautiful Momoyama style garden evolved durring the reigns of the fourth and the fifth Lords. In all it took about 80 years to complete. Jojuen was named after a character in poem written by Tao Yuanming.
The first lord, FUjitaka, was a master of traditional waka poetry and initiated Imperial Prince Toshihiro the secret of this classical style of poetry in this room.
The walking tour of Jojuen takes about 20 min.