Gujo-Hachiman Castle

Get the Flash Player to see this video.


Gujo-Hachiman Castle (郡上八幡城) is a hilltop castle located Gujo, Gifu. It was built in 1559 by Endo Morikazu. It is the symbol of Gujo city. All the stone walls are registered as historical assets of Gifu. Current Tenshu-kaku was reconstructed in 1933. It is one of very few wooden reconstructed castles in Japan. On the top floor of Tenshu-kaku, you can enjoy great view of Gujo city.

Tourist Info.
There is a parking, but no large car and trucks are allowed.
Admission for Tenshu-kaku museum: 300 yen for adult, 150 yen for kids. There is a group discount from 20 persons.
Open: 9:00 to 16:30 ( open till 18:00 during summer).
Close: from Dec 20 to Jan 10.

0. at Minoshi Station.
1. use Etsuminan Line to GujoHachiman (44 min.)
2. use local bus to downtown.
3. walk east.

MLJ dalamdi toko online

peta sekitar Gujo-Hachiman Castle

Detailed Travel Guide

Type: Hilltop.
Built in: 1559 by Endo Morikazu.
Class: Reconstructed.

Gujo-Hachiman Castle was built in 1559 by Endo Morikazu. Endo was attacking To clan who was the feudal lord of Gujo during Muromachi Period. He built a fortress to attack the To's castle. After he defeated To clan, he extended the fortress to castle and built his own castle town around this castle.

Because Endo Yoshitaka,, Morikazu's son, fought against Hideyoshi after Honnoji no Hen, he was casted out from his land. After Yoshitaka, Inaba Sadamichi became the castle lord and extended this castle and built Tenshu-kaku. However, Yoshitaka fought for Ieyasu at the battle of Sekigahara, he became the lord of this castle again.

Endo clan was moved to the other land in the middle of Edo Period.
Kanamori clan was moved Gujo after Endo. However, under Kanamori's government, there was one of the largest riot in the history of Japan in 1755. Kanamori was taken his land.

In the 18th century, Aoyama clan became the lord of this castle and land of Gujo. They govern the land until the end of Edo period. Then, castle was abandoned.

Current Tenshu-kaku was reconstructed in 1933. The design of Gujo-Hachiman Castle is taken from Ogaki castle.

On the top floor, there is a great view of Gujo, and there is a light-up at night.

The wife of Yamanouchi Kazutoyo, Chiyo, was born in this castle.