During Onin War that happened from 1467 to 1477, most of the buildings had been burnt down, but the main hall and Kara mon Gate were reconstructed within 30 years. The sign board on the gate, was given by Emperor Gokashiwabara, and the sign of Nisonin was given by Gonara Emperor. Until the Meiji Restoration, Nisonin was designated as one of the "Four Auspicious Temple." Correct in its observance of formalities, it administered Imperial Buddhist Ceremonies. At times, when a High Priest was nominated, it was customary for him to visit the imperial palace and to receive the purple robe, the symbol of the highest rank in Buddhism.